Skip to main content

Weary



Today marks one month since Ellie went to be with Jesus. All throughout this process I’ve really tried to just let myself feel whatever I feel, whenever I feel it. Sometimes I feel like crying. Sometimes I don’t. Sometimes I’m just tired. Like somehow all of the emotions end up in a giant ball that feels like a ton of bricks that I’m carrying around. It’s definitely not intentional because I do try to give those emotions to God as they happen. But sometimes there’s nothing particularly “definable” in terms of how I’m feeling or even what exactly I’m feeling. Today is one of those days. 

I went to see my doctor today. For anyone who’s ever had a baby, this is the visit where you’re supposed to bring your baby so that the doctor and all the staff and “ooh” and “ahh” about how precious your new little life is. Having to go without my new little life was simply exhausting. I made a memory book on Shutterfly for my family, so I decided to take that because I wanted them all to get a chance to “meet” Ellie. Everyone loved the book and told me how special it was, which was nice. But not as nice as bringing my sweet girl up there to meet them in person. That thought felt like a cloud that just wouldn’t go away the whole time I was there. This wasn’t how it was supposed to be, and we all knew it. Thankfully, my doctor is absolutely wonderful and doesn’t even try to understand or relate. I realize as I write this, that sounds like she’s cold-hearted or uncaring. That couldn’t be further from the truth. The truth is that until you have walked in these shoes, you just can’t relate. It’s like an exclusive club with a lifetime membership that no one ever wants to join but some of us still end up there. In all of her years as an OB/GYN, my doctor has never had a case like Ellie, a baby lost suddenly with seemingly no explanation. She’s just there and willing to support me however I need it, which is all I can ask of her, or anyone else for that matter. 

If I had to pick a word to summarize how I feel today it would be “weary.” The dictionary defines weary like this: feeling or showing tiredness, especially as a result of excessive exertion or lack of sleep.

That seems entirely inadequate. I mean, the lack of sleep is certainly there. Sleep doesn’t come easily these days. Other than my everyday life chasing two toddlers and keeping a house, I’m not excessively exerting myself. But it’s not merely a physical weariness. It’s a soul weariness. My soul is tired. My heart is worn out. So many unending emotions, feelings, thoughts constantly being processed by my conscious and my subconscious being. It’s simply exhausting. I feel like there’s little room for anything else in my brain. I preserve enough brain cells to function and do what needs to be done, but aside from that I’m just weary. Why do I write all of this? For one thing, I want to be real about this journey of grief. Despite the fact that my posts are often filled with hope and awe at the goodness of God, this path isn’t always sunshine and roses. This post is not in any way intended to take away from that. Even on the worst days, that is always there. But some days are just hard in spite of that. Today is one of those days.

I’ve shared this before, but when I was putting together my playlists for birthing time, I felt particularly drawn to songs about the cross and the suffering of Jesus. At the time it seemed a little odd, but I did it anyway because I felt such a strong leading in that direction. Now it’s all a little clearer. The cross is the perfect thing for me to ponder on days like today. It’s because of the cross that I don’t have to carry this burden. I can bring it there and leave it. Jesus died on the cross to take those burdens away. Not that I don’t still feel sad or burdened at times. I certainly do. But instead of having an overwhelming dark cloud hanging over me that I can’t seem to get out from under, I can bring those feelings to the cross and leave them there. Jesus is here to shoulder the burden with me. He promises that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I don’t have to do this alone. Even in the moments when the enemy of my soul would have me believe that I am in this alone, the truth is that I’m not.



God brought this song to mind the other day. I love the simplicity of the words. “When the world falls apart and you fear for your heart, there’s a tower of peace. It’s still the cross.” It's easy to try and run in the opposite direction if we think we can handle things on our own. The truth is that we can't. He's strong enough to take it all, but He's not going to take it from us unless we give it to Him. The cross is always there, a place of strength and courage, where we can take refuge if we choose. My prayer for myself and for you on days like today is that we see the cross as the place of relief that it truly is and that we run there to take shelter and find peace even when everything seems to be falling apart in complete chaos. “There is hope for the lost. It’s still the cross.”

Sometimes it seems the world's unraveling around us
We fear it all may one day come undone
We can't forget the One who came before us
To forgive the past and bring hope for what's to come

When it all comes crashing down
The cross still stands alone
And on this our faith is built
And our courage is made strong

When the world falls apart
And you fear for your heart
There's a tower of peace
It's still the cross

So bring your sick and your poor
And your longing for more
To the place of relief
It's still the cross
There is hope for the lost
It's still the cross

Sometimes it seems that I have been forgotten
I don't know how I will make it on my own
But the One who said I will never be forsaken
He still hears my prayer and I will never be alone

When it all comes crashing down
The cross still stands alone
And on this my faith is built
And my courage is made strong

When the world falls apart
And you fear for your heart
There's a tower of peace
It's still the cross

So bring your sick and your poor
And your longing for more
To the place of relief
It's still the cross
There is hope for the lost
It's still the cross

Though the world may not confess You and Your holiness
One day all will see You in all Your majesty
And the cross will stand alone 
As the place where you made known
Your love for all mankind
Til then in it we'll hide

When the world falls apart
And you fear for your heart
There's a tower of peace
It's still the cross

So bring your sick and your poor
And your longing for more
To the place of relief
It's still the cross
There is hope for the lost
It's still the cross

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glory Baby - Announcing Elizabeth Grace Kropchuk

Today we celebrated the life of our precious Elizabeth "Lizzie" Grace Kropchuk. Most people didn't know Lizzie existed yet. Actually, I've been anxiously waiting for this Sunday, Mother's Day, to arrive because it seemed like the perfect time to share the wonderful news that Ellie has been promoted to BIG SISTER! I've said before that oftentimes I have one thing in mind that I'd like to share and then God takes things in a completely different direction. This week has been no exception. This is a REALLY important post, so I hope you'll keep reading... As I said, I had originally planned to share this post on Sunday, Mother's Day. I anticipated that Mother's Day would be bittersweet this year, exciting to anticipate new life and adding to our family but also grieving that Sunday will be 6 months since Ellie went to heaven. Even just the thought of sharing our joyous news was enough to take a little bit of the sting away. At my church, the

The Story of Ellie Love

As I sit down to write, I’m not even sure where to begin. Eleanor “Ellie” Love Kropchuk was the most beautiful surprise. In March 2017, my husband Matthew and I were so excited to find out she was on the way to join big brother Timothy (3 years old) and big sister Caroline (20 months). Since I already have two children, pregnancy was nothing new for me. But Ellie was different. I won’t go into all the reasons why now, but even my doctor at one point commented as we laughed together about how active Ellie always was that this pregnancy was just different than the others. Around 7 months into my pregnancy, I felt led to create a playlist that I would listen to during my birthing time. If you know me, you probably know that I LOVE music. Always have. God often uses music to minster to me in very unique and specific ways. My favorite thing to do is throw a bunch of favorite songs into a playlist and then put it on shuffle because He always brings the exact songs I need in the mome

You Are My God

Today I feel angry. On the days when we just stay at home with no plans, I really struggle. This is new for me because I'm generally a homebody. Not that I don't like to get out and do things, but traditionally, once or twice a week for activities is good for me. The rest of the time, I prefer being at home. Now I don't know what I want anymore. When we're on the run for too many days, I start to feel overwhelmed and behind on things at home. But when we have stay at home days that I used to enjoy, I suddenly feel really blah and completely unmotivated to do anything at all. I've got big plans for things I'd like to get done. Yet zero motivation to do any of them. I tend to just sit around feeling sad. That has been my day today. While I'm not experiencing the all-consuming black hole depression that I was, I do think that I'm still dealing with some. It's like baby blues but without the baby. It sucks.  Thinking about it all today, I got ang