Skip to main content

All I Can Say



We’re having a snow day here in East Texas. Since we’re not used to snow and ice in this area, basically the whole city shuts down as a result. So we’re being cooped up in the house because roads are slick and there’s really nowhere to go anyway. I don’t do very well being cooped up in the house these days. Some days I feel like staying home anyway, but I really hate not having the option to get out or have someone over. I tend to feel more depressed on days like today. Sure, the snow is beautiful outside. But it’s so cold. And I don’t really feel like going out to play in it.

I struggle thinking that Ellie should be here to see the snow, but she’s not. This is the first time we’ve had snow on the ground since Timothy was about 3 months old, so it’s the first time for all of my kids to see snow. Except Ellie. Because she’s not here. Not that she would remember it even if she was here, but regardless, the lack of her presence here with us is really suffocating at times. 

Today is just one of those days that I’m giving it all I’ve got, yet that just doesn’t feel like much. It’s a constant struggle. I’m reminded of the words to a song that I used for a project in high school years ago. I did a project on the book of Job and chose this song as a fitting description of what Job may have felt like. I don’t presume to compare myself to Job because he suffered so much more than what I’m walking through right now. However, I do look to him as an example of how to trust God in the midst of pain and suffering. The Bible says that in all that he experienced, Job never sinned because he did not curse God. It would be so easy to sink into despair and blame God for what happened to my sweet girl. Honestly, I don’t blame God. I wish things were different, but I don’t blame Him. I trust Him. I know that He is working all things for my good because He is true to His word. I may not be able to see it right now, but I trust Him. He asked me months ago if I trusted Him, and I said yes. And I continue to say yes day by day, moment by moment, because only He knows what today holds and what tomorrow will bring. I know that He will take care of everything if I will leave it in His hands. Sometimes that’s harder than others. 


All I Can Say – David Crowder Band

Lord I'm tired
So tired from walking
And Lord I'm so alone
And Lord the dark
Is creeping in
Creeping up
To swallow me
I think I'll stop
Rest here a while

And didn't You see me cryin'?
And didn't You hear me call Your name?
Wasn't it You I gave my heart to?
I wish You'd remember
Where you sat it down

And this is all that I can say right now
And this is all that I can give

I didn't notice You were standing here
I didn't know that
That was You holding me
I didn't notice You were cryin' too
I didn't know that
That was You washing my feet

I love the part towards the end when the songwriter talks about how he didn’t notice God standing there, holding him, crying with him and washing his feet. I think sometimes it’s easy to be so wrapped up in my own grief that I fail to notice that He is here with me grieving too. He knows what it’s like to lose a child too. 

Sometimes it’s easy to begin the comparison game with others who have experienced loss or who have had scary situations but all turned out ok. It’s tempting to ask, “Why me? Why did God have to take Ellie? Why does He choose to save some and not others?” The truth is, I may not ever know the answer to that question. But God asks me to trust Him whether I understand or not. It reminds me of the story in Genesis when God asks Abraham to take his only son, the son he’s waited his whole life for and who is supposed to be the fulfillment of God’s promises, and sacrifice him on an altar. Abraham doesn’t ask why, he simply obeys. How hard must that have been? What must have gone through his mind? But Abraham trusted God enough to follow, even when it didn’t make sense.

The whole way up the mountain, Isaac asked about the lamb. Where is the lamb? What are we going to sacrifice? Abraham just kept saying that the Lord would provide the lamb. God will provide the lamb. We don’t have to worry about that. We trust that God will provide. So as the story goes on, just before Abraham uses the knife to sacrifice his son, God stops him. I fully believe that Abraham did intend to kill his son in that moment because He trusted God that much, even though it didn’t make sense. It makes me wonder if I would trust God that much? God knows what He’s doing, but sometimes it just hurts. Sometimes it’s so hard to trust Him when things don’t make sense. 

In fact, God did not provide a lamb that day. What He did provide was a ram caught in a thicket. So Abraham and Isaac sacrificed the ram as a pleasing offering to God. Here’s the thing: the ram is not what they expected. Abraham was trusting that God would provide a lamb, and He didn’t. He provided something else in that moment instead, but it was exactly what they needed when they needed it. The thing about this story that blows me away is that many years later, on that very same mountain, God DID provide a Lamb. He provided THE Lamb. Jesus was the perfect Lamb who was sacrificed for all of us. It is because of His sacrifice that I know I will see my baby girl again one day. Even though the pain is great right now, each day that passes puts me one day closer to seeing her again. While it’s hard to not get bogged down trying to make sense of it all or looking for answers, I don’t want to waste so much time looking for a ram that I forget about the Lamb. That’s the big picture.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glory Baby - Announcing Elizabeth Grace Kropchuk

Today we celebrated the life of our precious Elizabeth "Lizzie" Grace Kropchuk. Most people didn't know Lizzie existed yet. Actually, I've been anxiously waiting for this Sunday, Mother's Day, to arrive because it seemed like the perfect time to share the wonderful news that Ellie has been promoted to BIG SISTER! I've said before that oftentimes I have one thing in mind that I'd like to share and then God takes things in a completely different direction. This week has been no exception. This is a REALLY important post, so I hope you'll keep reading... As I said, I had originally planned to share this post on Sunday, Mother's Day. I anticipated that Mother's Day would be bittersweet this year, exciting to anticipate new life and adding to our family but also grieving that Sunday will be 6 months since Ellie went to heaven. Even just the thought of sharing our joyous news was enough to take a little bit of the sting away. At my church, the

The Story of Ellie Love

As I sit down to write, I’m not even sure where to begin. Eleanor “Ellie” Love Kropchuk was the most beautiful surprise. In March 2017, my husband Matthew and I were so excited to find out she was on the way to join big brother Timothy (3 years old) and big sister Caroline (20 months). Since I already have two children, pregnancy was nothing new for me. But Ellie was different. I won’t go into all the reasons why now, but even my doctor at one point commented as we laughed together about how active Ellie always was that this pregnancy was just different than the others. Around 7 months into my pregnancy, I felt led to create a playlist that I would listen to during my birthing time. If you know me, you probably know that I LOVE music. Always have. God often uses music to minster to me in very unique and specific ways. My favorite thing to do is throw a bunch of favorite songs into a playlist and then put it on shuffle because He always brings the exact songs I need in the mome

You Are My God

Today I feel angry. On the days when we just stay at home with no plans, I really struggle. This is new for me because I'm generally a homebody. Not that I don't like to get out and do things, but traditionally, once or twice a week for activities is good for me. The rest of the time, I prefer being at home. Now I don't know what I want anymore. When we're on the run for too many days, I start to feel overwhelmed and behind on things at home. But when we have stay at home days that I used to enjoy, I suddenly feel really blah and completely unmotivated to do anything at all. I've got big plans for things I'd like to get done. Yet zero motivation to do any of them. I tend to just sit around feeling sad. That has been my day today. While I'm not experiencing the all-consuming black hole depression that I was, I do think that I'm still dealing with some. It's like baby blues but without the baby. It sucks.  Thinking about it all today, I got ang