Skip to main content

He is the Love



Today is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day. This is a day I didn't even realize was a thing prior to this year. With so many "awareness" days and months for various things throughout the year, it's hard to keep it all straight at times. There are a lot of different posts floating around out there, and honestly I didn't even plan to write a blog post today. But God has put something on my heart that I am compelled to share.

First of all, why do we even have an "awareness day" for something as tragic as pregnancy and infant loss? It's still a taboo topic in most of society, yet one in four women will experience a pregnancy or infant loss in their lifetime. One in four. I'd be willing to bet there are not just a few but many women in your life that have experienced this type of loss and yet you aren't even aware. I know there are in mine. I've talked to so many women, friends, who've experienced this type of loss and I had no idea until I experienced it myself and they shared with me. It's not something that gets talked about much. Why? It makes people uncomfortable. As a rule, people tend to shy away from uncomfortable topics. So while it may seem like a sad day or a heartbreaking thing to remember, for those of us who have experienced this type of loss, today is also a beautiful day, however we choose to remember. Some choose to do it publicly, and some prefer to remember privately. There is nothing wrong with either choice.

I will never get to buy birthday or Christmas presents for my girls. I will never see them grow up, go to kindergarten, graduate from high school or college, get married or have their own babies. Sure, I will always remember them in my heart, but it's nice to have a day where they are remembered and publicly recognized. For me, National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day is about acknowledging my babies who now live in heaven. Their time on earth may have been brief, but they lived. My daughters Ellie and Lizzie existed. And it brings joy to my heart to know that they are acknowledged and remembered by those who participate in this day, whether by lighting candles in their memory or by however they choose to recognize and honor their lives. While I would give anything to have them here with me, remembering them isn't a sad thing. My heart rejoices in the reminder that I am not alone in remembering my precious babies and in remembering all of the other precious little ones gone from this earth far too soon.

This is a hard time of year for me. We're approaching Ellie's first birthday, the first anniversary of her death and also Lizzie's due date. All in the same month. November isn't even here yet, but I am definitely feeling the weight of it all. If I can be painfully honest here for a second, I struggle because I feel expectations around me that I need to "hurry up and be ok." I don't have anyone actually saying those words to me per se, but I do feel pressure to just be ok. Like ok, a year is long enough. Time to move on. But is it? Of course I have to keep on living and keep moving forward by getting out of bed each day and putting one foot in front of the other. But that's not what I'm talking about here. Is it ok that I'm still not ok sometimes? Should I still be struggling this much? Will I ever truly be ok? Those questions plague me.

This year has most definitely been a year of growth for me. Despite all the heartache and difficulties, God has been so present through it all. He has taught me so much not only about myself but about Himself and His character. He has lovingly called me away from so many things I once found comfort in so that I could truly focus on Him. He wanted me to yield only to His leading on how to navigate this grief journey, rather than voices from the outside looking in. To be honest, I was ok with that for a while. Life felt so overwhelming that it was nice to tune out the world and just focus on Him. But as time went on, I found myself becoming more dependent on other things. Once again, He has made it clear that He is lovingly drawing me to Himself and calling me to turn down the noise around me.

So you know what? It is ok that I'm "still" not ok. I'm doing my best to follow His lead. Am I doing that perfectly? Of course not. I'm only human. But I know that He is truly the One thing I can count on 100%. As it says in the psalms, my flesh and my heart may fail, but He is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. As I was talking with a precious friend the other day, the Lord spoke to me. He reminded me that it's ok that I'm still on my face in the dirt a lot of the time. My flesh says that it's been almost a year, so it's time to pull up my bootstraps, dust myself off and keep going. But that's not what God says. He's reminding me that being in the trenches covered in mud, blood, sweat and tears is brutally painful, but I'm not alone here. He's here too. He's in the dirt with me, holding me through this and grieving with me. A year feels like forever and 5 seconds ago all at once. I still have a hard time wrapping my brain around it all sometimes. But I know that I don't have to force a timetable. I trust that He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it - in His way and His timing.

I may be one in four. But He is the One. He continues to hold me together. And He is enough for me.

"He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."
Colossians 1:17

"But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life." 
Jude 1:20-21



He is the Love - David Crowder

This is the place I've known
Here in the arms of one who loves
Deeper than anyone
His are the hands I've grown to trust

And this is the place I've known
Here in the arms of one who loves
Farther than I could run
His are the hands I've grown to trust
And I believe...

His are the hands that spread the sky
And His is the love that gives me life
And His are the broken, the needy ones
And He is the love

His are the hands that spread to die
And His is a love sacrificed
We are the broken, the needy ones
And He is the love


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glory Baby - Announcing Elizabeth Grace Kropchuk

Today we celebrated the life of our precious Elizabeth "Lizzie" Grace Kropchuk. Most people didn't know Lizzie existed yet. Actually, I've been anxiously waiting for this Sunday, Mother's Day, to arrive because it seemed like the perfect time to share the wonderful news that Ellie has been promoted to BIG SISTER! I've said before that oftentimes I have one thing in mind that I'd like to share and then God takes things in a completely different direction. This week has been no exception. This is a REALLY important post, so I hope you'll keep reading... As I said, I had originally planned to share this post on Sunday, Mother's Day. I anticipated that Mother's Day would be bittersweet this year, exciting to anticipate new life and adding to our family but also grieving that Sunday will be 6 months since Ellie went to heaven. Even just the thought of sharing our joyous news was enough to take a little bit of the sting away. At my church, the

The Story of Ellie Love

As I sit down to write, I’m not even sure where to begin. Eleanor “Ellie” Love Kropchuk was the most beautiful surprise. In March 2017, my husband Matthew and I were so excited to find out she was on the way to join big brother Timothy (3 years old) and big sister Caroline (20 months). Since I already have two children, pregnancy was nothing new for me. But Ellie was different. I won’t go into all the reasons why now, but even my doctor at one point commented as we laughed together about how active Ellie always was that this pregnancy was just different than the others. Around 7 months into my pregnancy, I felt led to create a playlist that I would listen to during my birthing time. If you know me, you probably know that I LOVE music. Always have. God often uses music to minster to me in very unique and specific ways. My favorite thing to do is throw a bunch of favorite songs into a playlist and then put it on shuffle because He always brings the exact songs I need in the mome

You Are My God

Today I feel angry. On the days when we just stay at home with no plans, I really struggle. This is new for me because I'm generally a homebody. Not that I don't like to get out and do things, but traditionally, once or twice a week for activities is good for me. The rest of the time, I prefer being at home. Now I don't know what I want anymore. When we're on the run for too many days, I start to feel overwhelmed and behind on things at home. But when we have stay at home days that I used to enjoy, I suddenly feel really blah and completely unmotivated to do anything at all. I've got big plans for things I'd like to get done. Yet zero motivation to do any of them. I tend to just sit around feeling sad. That has been my day today. While I'm not experiencing the all-consuming black hole depression that I was, I do think that I'm still dealing with some. It's like baby blues but without the baby. It sucks.  Thinking about it all today, I got ang